People have different definition and concept of meditation in their mind but as an advanced practitioner and having had experience of quite few years. I would like to share some valuable knowledge so that all my reader can actually understand what meditation is.
Meditation means you are now try to access your unbounded consciousness, You want to become more conscious of your thought, emotion , behavior and in the end you would transcend them to reach your pure awareness or universal consciousness.
Meditation is a profound science and it is one of the steps in the Asthanga yoga given by Maharashi Patanjali.
There are 8 steps in Ashtanga Yoga – these are Yama , Niyama, Asana , Pranayama, Pratyahara , Dharana , Dhyana , Samadhi.
So in the above like “ Dhyana “ is the Meditation. And in Ashtanga yoga it is the second last step in the hierarchy.
So there is a complete preparation before you want to actually take the benefit of Meditation.
However, You can also first start with meditation it has also benefits and then move on to practice yoga asana , and pranayama.
Now coming to your question on meditation , if you ask me I would say there are many ways of doing meditation , you can meditate in numerous ways.
Here is one the the simplest and best method
But when you sit with your eyes closed there are certain things that you need to consider.
1st – Sit in a comfortable posture , Possibly Sidhaasana , You can increase the time of sitting by practicing asana daily ( Hatha Yoga ) , Various asana can be practiced to improve the overall health.
2nd – Clasp your hand in other hand ( see the picture ) and sit with a straight spine
3rd – Use your breathe as a tool to meditate.
– In this third step close your eyes and be with your breath , be aware of your breath , don’t think anything about it like pace, depth or whatsoever, even do not think that I don’t have to think about my breath. Just be aware of incoming and outgoing breath. Do this initially for few minutes say 5 minutes and you can increase it as per your progress.
– Initially, there are many distraction like sensation , itching , hot and cold feeling in body and head , etc. but don’t worry about that continue to watch your breath. Be aware of your breathe.
– Thoughts will come on the surface let them appear don’t go after them and make stories , in the beginning mind starts to make story with the thoughts and you find yourself lost in the story , bring your attention / awareness back to the breathe.
– Emotions, Emotion may surface, erupt, don’t worry continue to watch your breathe, be aware of your breathe.
– Practice – The most important thing that you come and sit in this posture and position daily , practice is the most important thing to progress in this.
– For more information you can see our youtube videos on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeRO2k9kPRB1od5Gnd28m0w
– 4th – Time : what time to meditate
– The best time to meditate is in the morning hours after you wake up ( i mean here before sunrise ) , However, Brahma Mahurat i.e. 96 minutes before sunrise and Brahma Mahurat lasts till 48 minutes before sunrise, as per the location in which you live , it is the best time to meditate according to ancient scriptures.
Also, you can do it the second round at the bed time. You can freshen up in the morning and then can do it or otherwise if you are not in the habit of freshen up in the early morning then you can start with the meditation. Or Otherwise any time is a good time to meditate. But if you want to progress fast and in a special manner some times are more supportive for your meditation.
5th – Sit on the floor and take a mat or blanket to sit
– You can simply sit in your room on the mat and do the meditation.
The above method that is discussed is the simple meditation technique. Focus on thoughts is not actually that is required but we are here looking for transcending thoughts to reach our consciousness.
You can also visit our website. We will be covering more ways to mediate and also make videos on the meaning of the word meditation.
Youtube Channel :